I'm glad you're here. :) I'm Isaac, and I built Mechanic.
My goals here are simple:
- To let you solve all your automation needs with one tool, instead of having to use a million different apps.
- To empower the entire Shopify community by building an automation library that everyone can benefit from.
So, I built Mechanic: a flexible, re-usable multi-tool that you can adapt to any purpose on the Shopify platform. I made it for you. :)
With that in mind, let's introduce the core concepts of the app, in the order that they come onstage:
- An event occurs, usually on the Shopify platform.
- Mechanic reads whatever tasks apply to that event.
- Mechanic executes whatever actions those tasks specify.
It's a thing that happens. :) Whether it's an order created in Shopify or an hourly trigger, Mechanic responds to each event by running any tasks that are configured for that event topic.
A task is a package of logic and configuration, which knows how to generate actions that are appropriate for whatever event has occurred. Mechanic offers built-in tasks (for example, one that sends an email whenever a customer signs up), but anyone can also write custom tasks, with incredible flexibility.
Need to send an email? It's an action. Need to update a customer record? It's an action. Really, anything that touches the outside world is an action.
Mechanic is a love song to its users, and you are the musician who gets to play along. :) From the ground up, Mechanic was built to be composable and reusable – and if we consider all that power to be "under the hood", the hood is extraordinarily thin.
Each of the pages linked above contains a section addressed to you. Use everything here; go make wonderful things. :)